Introduction to Python A Series of Hands-on Software Carpentry Workshops (2021)
Python is a good programming language for scientists to solve a wide variety of biological problems. We find that many scientists who come to Software Carpentry workshops use Python and want to learn more.
If you are a novice and want to learn how to program in Python to help you in your work, please join our NEW six-week series of two-hour workshops! Instructors will use live code and you will follow along on your own computer. You will gain a strong foundation in the fundamentals of Python along with best practices for scientific computing: breaking down analyses into modular units, task automation, and encapsulation.
NOTE: This is a six-part course, held weekly for 6 weeks from 11 am – 1 pm, with a 20-minute lunch break. When you register, you are registering for all 6 weeks. Please make sure you have time in your schedule to commit to all six sessions!
- Registration is required. Register at this link.
Dates and Topics:
- Week 1, April 20, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. ET: Introduction to Python and Colab, Running and Quitting, Variables and Assignment
- NOTE: A one-hour help session will be offered on April 23, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. ET: Getting Started with Google Colab
- Week 2, April 27, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. ET: Data Types and Type Conversion, Built-in Functions and Help
- Week 3, May 4, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. ET: Libraries, Reading Tabular Data into DataFrames, Pandas DataFrames 1
- Week 4, May 11, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. ET: Pandas DataFrames 2, Plotting 1, Lists 1
- Week 5, May 18, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. ET: Lists 2, For Loops, Looping Over Data Sets, Conditionals
- Week 6, May 25, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. ET: Writing Functions, Variable Scope, Programming Style, Wrap-Up
- NOTE: A one-hour bonus session will be offered on May 28, 1 p.m. – 2 p.m. ET: Plotting 2
Workshop Recordings and Materials:
- Recordings and Files: https://github.com/CBIIT/python-carpentry-workshop
- Software Carpentry Lesson: Plotting and programming with Python
Before the workshop: We will use Google Colab for this workshop. Colab allows us to write and execute Python code through the browser. A Google Account is required for using Colab. If you do not have one, please create a Google Account before the workshop. For technical assistance, contact NCI technical support at https://service.cancer.gov/ncisp.
Questions? Contact the NCI Data Science Learning Exchange